Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DIY: Distressed Denim


Have you ever noticed that distressed denim costs about triple what non-distressed denim does? I understand that the process of distressing is probably a mess during manufacturing and takes much longer. So yesterday I was surfing a women's fashion on Pinterest and thought, "Why can't I do it myself?" About 2 hours later and a little research under my belt, I decided to give it a try. Here was my stab in the dark:


First things first: I gathered up my supplies.

1: Really, really sharp scissors.
2: Small utility knife (You could substitute a disposible razor here but i only have expensive refills & didn't want to waste them.)
3: Nail file
4: Pumice stone (only slightly used previously & honestly, it did not ruin it)
5. Piece of white chalk



Next, I put the jeans on & marked with the chalk where I wanted there to be holes, distressed areas, fraying, etc. Then I laid them out on the floor, as seen here. Now, before you guys go all, "those look like nice jeans to be destroying." I know, I know. But, I seriously never never wear these jeans. They are a little too long and just don't fit perfect so they have been sitting in my closet since Black Friday & I think I ahve worn them once!



Step #3: I rolled up the leg to make the knee area a little more accessible. I took my scissors & simply cut where I had a chalk line. Now, please be careful not to cut clear through the back layer during you intitial cutting. (That's why I rolled up the leg.)

Then I cut a small hole in the back left pocket. To make it look frayed like this, I simply rubbed the pumice stone back and forth on the cut area after I had made a clean cut with the scissors. (I did this on the cut out knee as well)

Another way to add to the distressed look without actually cutting a hole: I simply used the utility knife to "shave" the top layer of denim. This makes it look thin & faded, but there is no visible hole. i did this right below the knee on the side opposite from the holey knee.

I noticed that they were still looking pretty fresh & I wanted them to look worn in. I held each belt loop and cut along the hem. I did not cut through the hem, I just snipped off the thin strip of fabric on the outside of the hem and then rubbed it with the pumice stone. the results are in the following pic:


I continued this method on all the beltloops, the top of the front and back pockets, and the inside hem of the legs:



That's it! I am going to give them a wash before I wear them, so that the frayed areas become a bit more frayed. I will give you a little OOTD when I wear them to a concert this weekend!

A little side note: This is pretty messy. There were little shreds of denim all over my room & I ahd to run the vacuum! Haha, but it turned out really great for a first time try!

No comments:

Post a Comment